Thursday, September 27, 2007

30 Days of Swimming - Day 11, Day 12 and Hills aka Hell

Day 11 - I really wanted to mix it up a little bit on Wednesday. I felt like my workout was getting stale. Before I was focusing on adding more reps gradually, but once I hit 16, that was done, so what now? I decided to do my first three drills, which would give me 1200 yards, but to not take any breaks.
I'd still focus on everything I focus on during the drills normally, but to see how I would feel doing 1200 yards consecutively. The few times I've done a 'long' portion, it's been after my drill sets. Wednesday, it was my drill sets.
So, how did it go? FANtastic! I felt great. I just got in a groove and went for it and didn't even think about what a big step it was for me. 1200 yards, no sweat. This... this was huge for me. This 30 days of swimming, suggested by Coach Mike Ricci (http://www.d3multisport.com) is unquestionably the best thing I could have done for my swim. Bar none.

Day 12, just another 1200 today, I went to the pool once and couldn't get a lane, by the time I went back, i was short on time to join the running club for a speed workout so I had to cut it short. normal 16 x 25yds for my first three drills with 15 seconds rest. It was a good swim. I also managed to give out a swim tip. Me! HA! How funny is THAT!?! This young guy in the next lane was clearly having some trouble, he kept holding his head up above water as he swam, even when he did the breast stroke. The poor kid was really struggling to keep his head above water, literally, and I know what that's like.
Now, I KNOW I don't know much about swimming, but I do know what it's like to be in this kid's situation so I felt like passing on the same basic advice I had gotten would be pretty safe.
When he stopped for a break, I asked if he minded a little advice, he seemed eager. I told him what Mike told me, by holding his head up, he's straining his neck and tiring himself out. He needs to keep his face in the water, roll with his stroke onto his side, keeping his chin tucked and one goggle in the water, and breathe in then. As soon as he rolls again, face back in the water and breathe out steadily through the nose until he take another breath, so you're always breathing and not holding your breath.
This kid had been doing exactly what I was doing when I first met with Mike, trying to breathe in AND out when his head was above water.
He said he had some trouble with the breathing out underwater, so I showed him the drill Mike showed me, hold onto the edge of the pool as if you're swimming into it and kick like you're swimming and practice the breathing as you're sitting there kicking and holding the wall. I told him it feels silly, but it helps. I also suggested that if he really wanted to improve, to get a lesson or course through the school (they do a 1 credit swimming fitness course each academic quarter).

After the swim, I met with the running club and found out we were ding hills. yay (note complete lack of enthusiasm). I hate hills, which is why I knew I had to do them. It was a good workout, 7 x ~600m on a pretty steep slope which I did varying from 3:00 to 2:40... my fastest was my last repeat.
God I hate hills.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: