Saturday, October 06, 2007

OT - Being a Sports Fan

Those who know me well, know I love sports. I used to live and die with every Red Sox loss, until 2004 liberated me, making me feel like a free man who could really enjoy baseball for the first time. I learned to love football and the Patriots as a way of connecting with my father. My best friend is a Celtics lifer and while I don't have his depth or breadth of knowledge, I love going to Celtics games. I probably enjoy Bruins games even more, but I can't bring myself to put money in Jacobs' pockets.
As a devout regionalist, I never had a college team to care about. When it comes to collegiate sports, I couldn't root for a school I never attended. However, one of the first things I did when I started at the University of Cincinnati for graduate school two years ago was go to a UC football game and while they've been horrible to watch at times, I've gone to more games than I've missed, including the upset of #7 Rutgers last November where those of us who had the faith to show up rushed the field after the game.

Right now, i find myself in a state of somewhat sports Nirvana.
My beloved Sox are up 2-0 in the first round of the playoffs and looking very impressive (while the vile Yankees are down 0-2 and looking atrocious)
The Patriots are decimating the NFL and showing teams that Tom Brady, with the right weapons around him (kind of like Manning has had for all these years), looks like the best QB since the invention of the forward pass.
The Celtics have Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen... making them truly relevant in Boston and in the NBA for the first time since the Big Three. They're being picked to win the Atlantic and maybe even have a shot at the finals.
The bruins... well, let's not go there... maybe Jacobs will sell the team soon.
UC is ranked in the AP (#20)for the first time since 1976... 31 years. Tonight they play Rutgers (#21) in Jersey. A win brings them to 6-0 and a boost in the rankings.
When does the shoe drop? I'm used to the shoe dropping but the Sox and Patriots have, of late, taught me it doesn't have to. But UC has to lose eventually, right? USF is probably a sure loss (but so was Rutgers a year ago!).
The Pats can't run the table and go 16-0 can they?
Can the Sox with another title, 2 years after their first in 86 years?
Shades of 1986...?


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: