Wednesday, August 15, 2007

5430 Aftermath

So, I kind of ended my race summary with the finish line,
but there are a few more things I should add.



Firstly, my timing at the finish line was terrible. I got
there just as they were announcing the winner of the computrainer, which meant
my name didn’t get called over the loudspeaker as I came down the chute.
Not a big deal, just one of those things I wish I hadn’t missed out on.



They gave us some very cool pint glasses at the finish line,
much more useful than a finisher’s medal which you feel kind of pompous
wearing at any point after race day.



I sucked down have a bottle of Gatorade Endurance before I
even got out of the chute, then I started wandering around looking for my
mother and grandmother. This is a spot where having my name called on the
loudspeaker would have been very helpful. I went and stood in the shad behind
the stage and started to think of where they’d be. This was where I had
told them to meet me that morning, so seemed like a good place to start. I was
just starting to look around when I spotted my mother, who looked both
terrified and relieved to see me. All that motherly panic and stuff. I assured
her I was as good as could be in the situation. Just then I crossed paths with
one of the Team In Training girls I had been leapfrogging on the run, she
looked like she was in about as good a shape as I was.



I sat in the shade for a little while with my mother and
grandmother, then headed over for a free post-race massage (featuring a cute
masseuse, which always makes it that much nicer. If any cute, single
masseuse’s are reading this, feel free to email me!) During the massage,
my mother suggested I should go back to their hotel and use the hot tub! I looked
at the guy next to me and at the same time we both said “Ice bath!”
I also had a single bite of a piece of pizza, which just didn’t sit well
in my stomach.