Sunday, June 03, 2007

The New Ride, TeamBTC, running and a swim coach

First of all, I got the new bike. A Specialized Transition Comp

Aluminum Specialized E5 AEROTEC frame

Carbon FACT aero Fork

Spec. Carbon aero seat post

Profile Designs T2 Cobra aero bars (UBER adjustable!)

Shimano 105 53:39 crankset

Shimano 105 front derailleur

Shimano 105 10-speed 12-27 Cassette

Shimano Ultegra 10-speed rear derailleurs

Shimano 105 Dura-Ace 10 speed bar end shifters

Crank bros Quattro pedals

And a partridge in a pear tree

I got a rough fit when I picked the bike up on Friday, the seat post needed to be trimmed, and I have an appointment for a full fit on Tuesday with University Bicycles' resident triathlete, Thea.





I was tempted to join the Boulder Triathlon Club for their Saturday morning no-drop ride, but decided that I didn't want my first ride on the new bike to be a 2 hour ride.  It just didn't seem wise. I decided instead to swing by where they were meeting up at 9am, say hello, see what the group was like, then go for my own much shorter ride.

Not surprisingly, that isn't what happened. I arrived and was so excited to meet people and to have a ride on my new bike that I ended up going anyhow. The course was the 5430 Boulder Peak course and there was a brutal hill in the first portion. I forget what they called the hill but after meeting up at the top, we came down through Left Hand Canyon and it was all fairly downhill and easy from there.

Overall it was a 26 mile route, very leisurely and took us about 2 hours. I met the club president, Tim Sells, who seemed like a very cool guy. I also met a few other members, namely Chris who just moved here from the Santa Barbara area recently but is a native of Newton, MA; as well as Kelly who is from upstate NY but went to school in Connecticut. I also met a very nice couple at the start of the ride but they fell back and told us not to wait up, they'd finish at their own pace.

Next Saturday, we're doing one loop of the 5430 Long Course, I'll be sure to get in on that ride!



After the ride I went for a 30 minute easy run. This was partly as a recovery technique and partly to acclimate my body to running after riding. Then today I went for another easy run (HR around 150, my easy HR is 136-156) and managed to polish off 9 miles in 90 minutes, which I was pretty pleased with for an easy run.



As I have mentioned before, I have been able to swim practically as long as I have been able to walk, but I don't know how to swim freestyle, I primarily do the breast stroke (and a decent job of it I do, if I do say so myself). However, in order to do my best in a triathlon, I need to learn to swim freestyle.  To that end, I've been looking for a swimming coach.  I emailed one potential coach who was, unfortunately, booked solid.  She referred me to another coach Mike Ricci from D3 Multisport. Mike is the running coach for the BTC's Tuesday Night Track workouts and comes about as highly recommended as is humanly possible. He is the coach for the Race Athlete team that Brett from Zen and the Art of Triathlon belongs to.  Mike finally emailed me saying he had time to work with me and I sent him an email about arranging for a lesson so we'll see how it goes. I'm pretty excited to have the opportunity to learn from him.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: