Thursday, March 06, 2008

Good News, Bad News, Unrelated News...

First, the Bad News...
I changed the battery on my footpod Monday. Every time I have changed the battery in the past, I've checked the calibration afterwards with a mile run on the treadmill and a run on the outdoor track. I didn't do that this time since it's never, ever, been off before. I should note that the battery doesn't wear out fast typically, but I do often forget to turn the thing off after I run... oops. Anyhow, this time I didn't calibrate it first. This was also the first time I used a rechargeable battery in it. The instructions say not to use a rechargeable, but that just seemed silly and I wanted to be environmentally conscious.
Well, turns out, it made a difference... about .02 miles out of each mile. No big deal right? Wrong. That .02 difference is the difference between 5.19 miles and 5.29 miles a week later in the same workout and accounted for the difference in my paces that I was running this week on Tuesday night and the paces I ran last week during the same workout set.
So, that fantastic Tuesday workout, wasn't quite so fantastic.

Now for the Good News...
The Good News is that the paces that felt 'right' and 'good' Tuesday night were the paces I was supposed to be running. My bod was seeking out those paces on its own and knew what felt right. My watch may have been off, but my body knew what was right.
Also, I still felt great after the workout so i got in the workout I was supposed to and still felt really good afterwards, so it was still a great workout, it just wasn't quite Super Fantastic...

In Unrelated News...
Last night the Mies van der Rollers won the DAAP Bowling League Championship. This was the MvdR's 6th season in the league (where we have also been known as Frank Lloyd Strikes, Bowlhaus and The T-Spares) and we had to battle through a 3 round tournament, including facing two other teams of Thesis Year students to claim our prize and glory. Leading the way was Brendan "Father Time" Dillon who rolled 100 pins over his average for the three combined games.
Way to go van der Rollers!

1 comment:

Athletic Wannabee said...

So "less IS more" or in your case more was less; .02 miles less. Way to go Rollers, I would say "Mies would've been proud" but I'm not sure he was much of bowler. Now Gaudi, I bet bowling pins were the inspiration for Sagrada Familia, yeh?