Tuesday, March 04, 2008

30 days of swimming, a look back

Yesterday was my first swim in which I reached 3000 yards in a single workout. It's funny, there isn't really much difference between 2800 yards and 3000... it only took an extra 4 minutes or so, but just getting to that nice round number feels so damn good.
Less than six months ago I started doing my 30 days of swimming. At that point, 1000 yards freestyle was a challenge. My first workout was 800 yards and I bumped it up to 1100 the next day. My swim yesterday was as long as my combined swim for the first day of my 30 days of swimming.
It's amazing the progress I've made in that time and the 30 days of swimming was a big part of that. Mike Ricci of D3 Multisport was the one who gave me that all-important first swimming lesson and suggested the 30 days of swimming. Now Mark is building on that, pushing me faster, harder, longer.
3000 yards... I've come a long way to swim that far...

1 comment:

Athletic Wannabee said...

Darn fine job. Today was my first mile swim in one workout and my longest single interval of 1000yds. Thanks for letting me know it can be done if I just keep going.