Thursday, February 28, 2008

Workouts and Race Schedule

Tuesday's workouts were great. Once again, I made a conscious effort to pay attention to how I felt during each workout.
During the run I had no recurrence of the side stitch that popped up during the same run last week. I spent some time talking to myself during the run in a way of trying to gauge my effort level, but since this isn't something I do frequently I don't have anything to judge it against. I can only say I wouldn't have had much trouble keeping up a conversation. I tried singing to myself (very quietly since I was in the gym) as well but that wasn't too successful. Then again, I don't think I've ever had an instance where I tried singing that could be called successful.
I lost track of time during the fourth repeat and went two minutes over the 5 minute set without blinking an eye. I felt pretty good when it was over and I think I probably would have been able to repeat the workout right away.
According to my HR monitor (which I finally found in the very bottom of my gym bag, underneath the board that keeps the bag stiff) I was peaking at about 162 during the intervals and bottoming out at 146 during the recovery periods but mostly holding at around 155bpm. I was again holding a solid 8'10" pace so I'm pretty pleased.
I did some light upper body weight work after the run since I had the day off from swimming. Enough to feel the difference in the strengths of my right and left shoulders but not labour my left too much.
The bike ride was 80 minutes with 10 sets of 3'00" @ 130w and 3'00" @ 185+w and was also pretty good. I did the bike ride in the early evening and went out with friends almost immediately afterwards, spending a pretty fair amount of time on my feet without giving it any thought.
No noticeable aches or pains the next day and I got Wednesday's workouts done without giving Tuesday a second thought.
I feel like the Oliver Twist of triathlon... Please sir, can I have some more?

I've finally, officially, registered for my races. I'm signed up for...
8/10/08 - 5430 Long Course Triathlon in Boulder - I did this race last year in 7:21:50 and I'm looking forward to taking a BIG chunk of time off that precedent, at least getting below 7 hours and shooting for closer to 6:30. I know this is possible because last time I raced foolishly. This time I will race smart, I will train smart and I will kick butt.
8/30/08 - The Mayflower Triathlon in my hometown (and "America's Hometown" as it's sometimes known) of Plymouth, MA - This is only 3 weeks after the long course, but I'm doing it as a much more casual event. It's an international distance race and I chose this race largely so that my family could see me do a race.
July/August - 6 pack of Stroke and Strides at the Boulder Reservoir - I love these events, they're a lot of fun.

No comments: