Saturday, February 02, 2008

Swimming with the Fishes

I traveled home to Boston to do some research for my thesis (and to watch the Super Bowl in Boston) and I figured I'd be ok to get my workouts in. Well, I was half right as I wasn't able to get in my long ride today, which was a real bummer since I had been looking forward to it a lot.
On the plus side I had a FANTASTIC swim yesterday. My friend Nicole is a pretty decent swimmer and we go for a swim when I'm in town at the pool at her gym. the last time we swam was in mid December and while she remarked on the progress I had made, she was still noticeably faster.
Yesterday's swim was for a solid 2000 yards. After about 750 yards I made a mental note of where Nicole was, to see how much faster than me she was. A few laps later and I could see she was actually a little further back. When I got to the halfway point, I noticed my 500 yard time was just over 10 minutes. My usual 500 yard time had been 10:30-45. The third 500 was just under 10 minutes and I was definitely beating Nicole. I put on an extra surge for the last 500 and finished the whole 2000 in 40:11

40:11!!!

To say that was a huge improvement would be an understatement. Leaps and bounds! I'll have to go back and check to see what my times on previous 2000yd long swims were.

2 comments:

MarkyV said...

*cackling like Mr Burns*

"eeeeevrything is going according to plan heh heh heh"

Brenda said...

uhm... should I be scared? Or excited?