Friday, February 22, 2008

Tuesday Intervals and a Long Swim

I've been meaning to get this down... Mark has wanted to know how the Tuesday workouts feel and I said I'd write something up that's a little more detailed on them. I jotted down some notes so here they are.

The Run - I did this workout first. The switch to 5:00 on and 1:00 off was kind of a big one. I had a little bit of a stitch in my side toward the end of the second repetition but it faded during the recovery minute and didn't return. I nailed the paces pretty good for each interval though, .61 miles for every 5 minutes which breaks down to an 8:11 interval. My goal pace was 8:10. I felt like I had a couple more repetitions in me but I was stopped by 1. The Schedule and 2. The bike ride I had later.

The Bike - This was fun. Sort of. Actually it really was. The bulk of the workout was 10x 3'00" at 130 followed by 3'00" at 185. No trouble really during the workout but I was certainly glad it was over! This was a bump up from the 10x 3'00 at 160 followed by 3'00" at 185 Mark had me doing before. That said though, the switch from the god-awful stationary bikes to my bike on a trainer with a power meter with an actual fan in front of me instead of a tiny little vent on the top of the stationary bike felt like a much better workout. I was finishing those workouts on the stationary bike dripping an unhealthy amount of sweat. I'm pretty sure their power readings were off as well.

The next day - I was definitely glad I didn't have to do either of those workouts again the next day, I had a little bit of heaviness in the legs, more of a tiredness than a soreness but I was looking forward to the run and didn't have any trouble with it.

Friday...
I got to the Rec for my swim, checked my workout and realized.. Whoa! 1500Yard steady swim? Really? 2500? I've never done a straight swim that long before, freestyle OR breast stroke. That's 1.4 miles... straight. Well, knowing me, I was up for the challenge! I got the first 2000 yards in feeling pretty solid in 40 minutes flat but I really felt my form slip in the last 500 yards and slowed down a lot (or at least it felt like a lot) finishing in 50:15. Still, I'm pretty pleased with that result and I look forward to pushing my time under 50 even.

No comments: