Sunday, January 27, 2008

Koyaanisqatsi


I did a 2 hour training ride yesterday while watching the art film Koyaanisqatsi. This could not have been a much weirder experience. I highly recommend the film,but you have to be prepared to approach it with an open mind. There is no script, no 'story' per se. It's film of life and the planet set to music. The only lyric is 'Koyaanisqatsi' which is chanted at the beginning and end. The imagery is meant to contrast the natural world with the world we've created, the world we're destroying and the world we live in. There are a few parts where it's filmed from the point of view of a car driving on a road or highway, those were actually kind of cool and I found myself leaning into the turns the car was taking as I was riding my bike trainer.

6 comments:

MarkyV said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MarkyV said...

Dude.... wh-ere did you find that?

Were they all out of Transformers at Blockbuster? ;)

Brenda said...

It's a classic man! I've got Transformers on DVD but I wanted something a little different for my ride and it's got some relevance to my thesis so...

MarkyV said...

Speaking of your thesis... thought you might like this from the DC this weekend.

http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/jan/27/down-sizing-countys-dream-homes/

Flabbyironman said...

now that you've made it through Koyannisqatsi, you need to work your way through Powaqqatsi and Naqoyqatsi not to mention my favorite Baraka (which is by the same cinematographer that shot Koyaanisqatsi.

What kind of a setup do you have for your movie watching. I think if I watched any of those on my 86" projector screen while I was on my rollers I'd probably have a major accident.

Flabbyironman said...

the one other recommendation I'd have is to rent Microcosmos. It's absolutely BRILLIANT and a little bit scary. Insects are most definitely a little scary shot at the scale these frenchmen shot the film at.