Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ironman and China...

An email recently addressed to Ironman North America...

I'm fairly new to triathlon and having done my first half-iron distance race this past summer, I'm eager to step up to the full iron distance within the next two years.
However, when that happens, I will not be racing an Ironman brand race.
I'm disappointed to see that Ironman has recently set up a race in China, a nation which continues to oppress its citizens and has some of the worst human rights policies in the industrial world. I would no sooner expect to see an Ironman race in Cuba under Castro or Iraq under Saddam Hussein.
For a recent editorial about China's continued human rights oppressions in the buildup to the 2008 Olympics, see the link below.
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/01/12/the_olympic_prisoners/
Until Ironman ceases to affiliate with such an oppressive regime or said regime is removed from power in favor of a democratic state, I will not participate in any Ironman sanctioned event or purchase Ironman branded products.
-Brendan Dillon

No comments: