Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Moab Goal

I decided to set a second attempt at the Moan 100 this March as a major target for this spring. In discussing this with a fellow Fitizen I was prodded to share my plan making process.
First, where was I at? I'd been running, but without much focus and without as much consistency as I should. No excuses, I just hadn't had my act together.
To get to Moab and feel confident of being able to finish, I want to hit at least one 50+ mile long run before the race. Preferably two. Three would be ideal.
So how do I figure out if that's feasible? Experience mostly. I have an 'aggressive' training plan template that I have used in the past that I know from experience won't land me an injury. For lack of a better name I call it the 10/20 plan.
The 10 is for the 10% rule. I keep my weekly training mileage increases to 10% or less. This is a good, safe, general rule of thumb for runners in general. The few times I've knocked myself out with an injury were when I ignored this rule.
The 20 is for 20%, which is the maximum amount I will increase my long run per week. This loads the bulk of my weekly mileage to my weekend long runs, enabling me to extend my mileage aggressively and keeping my midweek runs shorter so I can recover better. I'll run three to four days other than my long run, with one or two of those being intense speed work.
So, I set a plan for a very easy first week then applied the 10/20 to ensuing weeks and found that I should be able to get in a couple 50+ milers, with regular easy weeks sprinkled in.
As a result, my weekly long runs will climb thus:
7.2
8.6
10.2
12.2
14.6
...

While my weekly mileage will climb:
16.2
17.8
19.5
21.5
23.7
...

This isn't an approach I recommend for others. I built up to trying it in the past so I know that as long as I'm smart and listen to my body, I can take this approach just fine.
The other important thing about this plan is that because it is so aggressive, if something goes bad and I miss a week, I'm probably screwed.
For this reason, it's good to have a backup plan so your training efforts don't feel 'wasted'. Moab has a 50k (31 mile) race held at the same time as the 100. In truth, this is a much more realistic goal, but if everything goes right, then the 100 is a very real possibility. I'm in better shape than I was when I made my first attempt at Moab and I learned a whole lot from that first experience on the slickrock.

1 comment:

Teri said...

You are insane! In the awesome way. Good luck and keep us updated.