Friday, April 01, 2011

Mount Sanitas

Leadville is known for some of its hills. The mid point is the top of Hope Pass at 12,600 and is preceded by a 7 mile 8% grade climb of 3,000 feet. Not an easy climb, I expect I'll probably hike much of it.

Knowing that hills and I haven't always been on the best of terms, something highlighted at Moab, some intense hill focus is called for. That's where Mount Sanitas comes in.

Sanitas is a popular local hike in Boulder and while it only reaches 6,863', its 1300' of elevation gain comes in just under a mile and a half (1.4 miles), making the rocky ridge trail a muscle burning 17.5% grade. While Sanitas does not have the length of the Hope Pass ascent, climbing the steep grade and rough, technical footing a couple times a week, in conjunction with some other, longer hillsets, should give me the strength I will dearly need in Leadville.

No comments: