Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mead Madness

Not long ago I began home brewing mead. Mead, for those who don't know, is a honey wine, though considering that mead likely predates wine it might be better to say that wine is a grape mead.
The highly flexible nature of this beverage has lent itself to a lot of experimentation on my part including forays with fruits, chocolate and... bacon. So far as I can tell I'm the only person I can find who is experimenting with bacon meads, which is rather exciting.
As this is something I've become quite enthused about I've decided to do a status update here on the nine batches of mead that I've produced thus far. Each batch is numbered, followed by the type of mead, it's current phase and a few short thoughts. There are three phases in the mead making procees. Primary is where most of the fermenting happens. Secondary is for aging and settling of yeast and sediment. Bottled is for additional aging and distribution.
#1 - Traditional - Secondary - This is a strong traditional mead, lots of honey with a high alcohol content. Currently sitting in a glass carboy (big glass jug) I tried a sample the other day and found that the strong alcohol kick that had been present has lost some of its edge. It's still a bit cloudy and I'm unsure if it will ever really clear completely due to the high OG (Original Gravity - density of the mead compared to water from the addition of honey).
#2 - Maple Bacon - Secondary - This is a bacon and maple syrup mead with a taste like a christmas ham. Delicious. Like #1, it had a high OG and is not clearing as well as I would like.
#3 - Maple Bacon - Secondary - My second batch of bacon and maple syrup mead has cleared beautifully. The flavor at last tasting was more subtle and was slightly smokey as opposed to sweet. I'm looking forward to bottling this after christmas.
#4 - Apricot - Failed - The nozzle on the fermenter somehow managed to break, resulting in the whole batch dripping steadily out of the fermenter. This was a birthday apricot mead for a friend of mine, but it shall rise again.
#5 - Pumpkin Spice - Primary - I made this pumpkin spice mead from homemade pumpkin pie filling. Sampled last night, it's quite delicious and clear and should be ready for bottling after Christmas.
#6 - Bacon - Primary - Has a very subtle bacon flavor to it. In fact, I can't taste it, but knowing that I don't have the most sensitive palette I had some friends sample it and they enjoyed the subtle bacon taste.
#7 - Chocolate - Primary - Chocolate meads take at least a year to be palettable... so far I agree. Having sampled last night, it was the opposite of delicious.
#8 - Fudge - Primary - This mead is too fresh for a tasting or testing but it is by far the most active mead I've made through fermentation. It's been bubling like mad. I'm sure it will need a lot of aging like the chocolate, but I'm equally sure it will be worth it.
#9 - Apricot - Primary - Brewed last night, this is our second go at the apricot birthday mead. It should be a slightly sweet melomel (melomel: a mead made with fruit) with a distinct apricot flavor.

No comments: