Saturday, February 14, 2009

Snowshoeing


A friend of mine tried to get me into snowshoeing a couple years back, I gave it a shot once, but really didn't take to it.
A week and a half ago, another friend and I went to a snowshoe race up at Eldora... perhaps i should have done a snowshoe race in the first place.
the race was on a beautiful clear wednesday night. As we stood at the start I couldn't help but think, "This is living... a beautiful clear moonlit night in the mountains, moon shining down,stars sparkling in the sky, brisk air in my lungs, a wonderful friend at my side and adrenaline pumping as we wait for the race to start."
The race started and I realized I didn't even need my headlamp, the light from the moon and stars cast a gorgeous glow. The race was brutal, 5kish with vicious hills and I'd never run in snowshoes before. 
I spent much of the race walking,wiped out from trying to get up hills.
Priya and I were probably last to cross the finish line, but we didn't care, we were hooked... we had such a blast and immediately resolved to do the rest of the races in the series.

This week, I resolved to run the whole course, now that I had an idea of what running in snowshoes would be like. Priya was fighting a chest and head cold but still did well all things considered. I came so close to running the whole race, but there was a patch of powder towards the end of the loop and the first time I hit it I really struggled and ended up walking a bit to recover. I did much better the other two loops though and that was the only time I didn't run during the race.

Bring on week 3!

1 comment:

Athletic Wannabee said...

Yeah Chaser, Colorado is for straight-up LIVING.
I've had some killer snow-shoe/ and yak-trax snow runs this year. It's the only way to get through the winters, keep up the fitness, and have an F*ING Good Time!

"Keep going til' you fall down,
then get back up and keep going!"