Sunday, February 08, 2009

Music

Confession: With the exception of a Beach boys concert in 1997 (that I don't count due to unusual circumstances) I'm never been to a contemporary concert before Friday night. I say contemporary because the opera and classical music don't seem to belong in the same type of category.

Yes, I'm a dork. Why had I never been to a concert before? Well, to be honest, music has never really been a big part of my life. I didn't grow up listening to a lot of music and the music I did listen to was typically classic rock. Not exactly easy to get tickets to see Queen.

Friday night I went to Boulder Theatre and saw a local band called Paper Bird. My good friend Priya is a huge fan and invited me along. We suffered through the rather long opening acts, or anticipation building and finally, around 11:30 (yeah, 11:30) they came on. I suppose they'd be described as bluegrass or folk.  What I really noticed though was how much FUN they seemed to have together on stage, singing and performing. The singers especially seemed to just be so happy to be doing what they were doing. In spite of the late hour, it was impossible to not get caught up in their joy and the fun and beauty of their music. It wasn't Mozart, it wasn't brilliant, but it was fun and honest and wonderful and I look forward to seeing them perform again.

No comments: