Friday, August 24, 2012

Celebration VI: Day I

CelebrationVI Day 1 summary:
Got to the convention center right around opening, though it took a while to find our way around and get in since my brother, in his Mandalorian Merc armor had to get his blaster checked out. Lightsabers, as elegant weapons from a more civilized era, did not need to be checked.
The hall was packed, like the world's biggest toystore devoted all to Star Wars. There were three different Lego areas, a huge (and expensive) autograph area, lasertag... Well, you can read about all that on the site.
Nils and I wandered around a bit, checking out toys, shirts and prices while waiting for my brother and his wife. We finally met up with them at the Mercs area where my brother was in his element. He posed for pictures with kids and adults in his armor and hung out with other mercs for most of the morning. Meanwhile, Nils, my sister-in-law Arielle and myself wandered around the exhibits, taking photos, posing with other fans, picking up free shwag and drinking in the atmosphere.
We had few solid plans for the day. One was for my brother to get Peter Mayhew's autograph, which we did in the early afternoon. The other was seeing Fanboys, with the writer and director there.
If you aren't familiar with Fanboys, it's about, obviously, Fanboys of Star Wars. It was highly anticipated, but never really saw much of a release. It is essentially a theatrical homage to Star Wars and its fanbase and is a lot of fun whether you are a fan or just know other fans.
The day wrapped up with my brother going off to a Mercs dinner with his wife while Nils and I went to see Expendables 2, which was as epically bad as it looked... So it was a lot of fun.
And now... Day II.

No comments: