Friday, August 08, 2008

Random Thoughts

Two days until the race and I feel pretty good. I’m sleeping well, no muscle or joint achiness or tenderness and I’m pretty relaxed about the race. I am certainly eager to start and to see how I do, but it’s more like a child’s “I wonder what’s inside that present?” than a freaking out “Oh god, how am I going to do???”

If you were born with webbed fingers, would that be an unfair advantage in the swim of a triathlon? At a swim meet? Could you still place/medal? What about gills? Flippers for feet? What if you were Aquaman? Or the Flash?

The Beijing Olympics start today. I LOVE the Olympics, it’s one of the great athletic treats. This year however, I won’t be watching the opening ceremony, the closing ceremony or anything in between. Not triathlon, the marathon, Michael Phelps or USA Basketball. I’ll even be avoiding stories about them. To give the hosting honors for the Olympics to a nation as oppressive as China is nothing short of abominable. This isn’t about politics, it’s about basic human rights and that China get’s most favored nation status while Cuba, which is certainly no worse than China, is embargoed, tells you exactly where the government’s real priorities are.

Looks like the forecast for race day is going to have a high in the low to mid 80’s. To some people, this may seem hot. For us here in Boulder, after more than 3 weeks of 90+ degree weather and after finishing last year’s race in 100 degree heat, it’s going to be positively chilly. I might need to pack my windbreaker ;-)

There are a few things that are guaranteed to elicit expressions of admiration from fellow triathletes during a group ride. A new bike is one, a Kona slot is another. Also on the list apparently is telling your ride mates you’re dating a massage therapist (or massage therapy student).

I had a conversation with Mark about “What next” the other day. I think I’m going to sign up for a sprint in September (I forget which) and maybe do the Boulder Backroads half marathon. Beyond that I said I’m probably done racing for the year and just wanted to focus on getting faster (he liked hearing that). I also said I’d like to do some 1 on 1 swim sessions to try and make some headway into cleaning up my stroke. He liked that suggestion even more (not surprising, I suspect he’s half-porpoise). We also talked very fleetingly about races for next year, including my thoughts on IMAZ (which I’m signed up to volunteer at this year) v. The IDT @ Plymouth Rock.

No comments: