Thursday, July 05, 2007

My First Ironman

Another day, another Stroke & Stride…



Rumor has it last week’s course was short so any gains
I made on the swim were pretty artificial. I also have to wonder about my run
time since if the swim was shorter I was probably not as tired as I ought to
have been going into the run. Disappointing, but what can you do?



I had intended to bump up to the 1500 this week but this
week is the only week I actually registered for individually (not the 6 pack)
and I’m registered specifically for the 750. So, I’ll do one more
750, I’ve still got 4 races left in my 6 pack to work on the 1500. I’m
also supposed to do a 2 hour run today, which will have to wait until after the
S&S, so doing the shorter swim seems sensible from that perspective as
well. This is the first really long run that my training plan has called for in
quite a while, I’m actually pretty excited about it. Yesterday was just a
45 minute run with a 30 second sprint every 5 minutes. I didn’t bring my
HR monitor or footpod, I just wanted it to be a relaxing run and not think
about any numbers. To be honest, I rarely think about distance or speed except
in races but my HR I monitor a lot.



Thinking about my blog format, I think I’m going to
try and regularize the way I approach the blog to some degree. I’m going
to continue to post as often as I can about my training, but I’ll do a
weekly post on a subject that’s a little bit more in-depth, kind of like
the Race Hydration and Nutrition post I did earlier this week, but a little
more well researched.  The My First Ironman post from yesterday will
probably become a semi-regular feature as well, but will be separate from the subject
posts.  I’m going to shoot for Sunday evening/Monday mornings for
the weekly subject posts.  The My First Ironman ones won’t have a
set date, they’ll just show up as I move step by step through the process
of choosing and training for my first Ironman.