Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bottling & Mead Update

Between the holidays and having the flu I haven't had a chance to fiddle with any of my mead in a while. Until this weekend, that is.
This weekend I bottled two meads, my traditional and bacon mead #2. The traditional isquite tasty at this point, albeit strong. The bacon mead is interesting, it's extremely dry (SG of 0.986) and the bacon flavor is interesting. I'm curious how some aging will affect it.
I also took the oportunity to transfer the chocolate mead to secondary. Like the bacon mead it's fairly dry, but unlike the bacon mead, which is crystal clear, it's very cloudy. It's going to need to settle and age for a good long time.
Bacon mead #1 should also be ready for bottling and the pumpkin and apricot meads should be ready to transfer to secondary. The fudge mead is still fermenting actively and I haven't checked on the third bacon mead in a while. Perhaps I'll do a bacon mead tasting this weekend before starting my next batch of meads.

No comments: