Friday, September 25, 2009

Next Steps

I've found myself thinking a lot about what my next step (or series of steps) is going to be as far as my athletic endeavors and I've come up with a few answers, some more solid than others.

First of all, I'm going to shift my focus to running for a while. I'm not abandoning triathlon (as will be clear later) but more than anything else, I am a runner. It's where I find the greatest joy, the greatest release. It's what gives me the highest of highs and where I most find out who I am. Plus I want to chop a chunk of time off that 5+ hour marathon I did at the IDT!
To that end, I'm setting the P.F. Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon (Heck of a long name, eh?) as my next major race. The race is January 17th in Tempe, Arizona and should provide a great training goal fr the coming months.

Secondly, I'm tentatively setting the 2010 Great Floridian Triathlon as my second major goal race for 2010. The Great Floridian is an iron distance event in Clermont, FL held every October/November. It was also the leading contender for my first ironman race before the Plymouth IDT was introduced.
I'm setting this as a tentative goal because it's been a very unpredictable year and there are a lot of things in my life that are up in the air right now and I want to keep that in mind as I set these goals. if things don't go as I hope, then I may push off my next ironman until 2011 and just focus on getting faster this coming year. For now though, it's on!

No comments: